Videos & webinars

How to Use IMO PSPC 90/10 Mode for Measuring Coating Thickness with the PosiTector 6000

Products referenced in this video:

Coating thickness measurement is an essential step in determining whether a coating system will perform to specifications. Color, gloss, adhesion, impact resistance, and other factors are all affected by paint thickness.

The PosiTector 6000 Coating Thickness Gage for all Metal Substrates is the Simple, Durable, and Accurate way to measure coating thickness.

When measuring paint thickness, it is important never to rely on a single reading. DFT, or dry film thickness, often varies across the surface, even at locations close to one another.

A statistical approach such as IMO PSPC 90/10 is often specified to determine whether there is sufficient coating thickness to meet specifications. IMO PSPC 90/10 mode on the PosiTector 6000 makes the process easy by performing all necessary calculations on the gage and creating pre-formatted reports with all required measurement data. Be sure to fully read and understand the IMO PSPC 90/10 document prior to inspection.

The Performance Standard for Protective Coatings 90/10 specifies several important locations to be measured and the number of measurements required, including details on flat surface areas, tank boundaries, stiffener members, complex areas (such as large brackets), and more. A link to the PDF is available in the description.

The 90/10 rule requires that “90% of all thickness measurements should be greater than or equal to the NDFT (or, Nominal Dry Film Thickness) and none of the remaining 10% measurements should be below 0.9 x NDFT".

Performed manually, the process can be confusing and requires several manual calculations. Using the IMO PSPC 90/10 mode included with PosiTector 6000 Advanced models, inspection is easy.

First, ensure that the instrument is verified and adjusted for the substrate geometry. To learn more about getting started with the PosiTector 6000, view the video linked in the description.

Once the instrument is ready to measure, select “Memory” from the gage menu, then choose “New 90/10”.

Review and adjust the three parameters present – expected nominal dry film thickness, percentage of readings greater than or equal to NDFT, and the minimum reading % of DFT. Use the “up” and “down” buttons to move the highlighting bar and the “+” or “-” buttons to make adjustments to the selected parameter. Once all of the parameters have been set, select “NEW” to create the batch.

Take the required measurements. A “check-mark” or “X” will indicate whether a "pass" or "fail" determination is made for both the 90% and 10% rule based upon the user-specified NDFT value. If both rules "PASS", the batch passes. If one or both rules “FAIL”, the batch fails.

Once the required readings for the batch are taken, the user can press the “+” button to  create a duplicate 90/10 batch or close the batch by going into the “Memory” menu and selecting, “close”. If new specifications are required, a new 90/10 batch will need to be created.

Once measurements have been saved, PosiSoft software makes it easy to manage data and create professional, custom reports. Simply connect your gage via USB or WiFi, to quickly import your readings, and save a PDF report.

Learn more about PosiSoft Software in the, “How to use PosiSoft Software for Better Coating Inspection” video.

The PosiTector 6000 coating thickness gage is the simple, durable, and accurate solution for DFT measurement on all metal substrates. Backed by DeFelsko’s renowned quality, customer service, and exceptional two-year warranty, the PosiTector 6000 is the ideal choice for coating thickness measurement.

Visit to learn more.